Monday, January 31, 2011

Rejecting Color Lines?

On January 20, 2011, the New York Times posted an article titled: "Black? White? Asian? More Young Americans Choose All of the Above."  The personal experiences of many who self-identify as bi-racial or multi-racial are stretching traditional understandings of race and how we talk about racism. Though more focused on marriage and the growing trend to cross racial lines, The Pew research Center;s June 4, 2010 report "Marrying-Out" identifies that "mixed race" is the fastest growing demographic and predicts that this acceleration will continue. This poses significant challenges for educators who maintain an anti-racist stance. 

In a Facebook reply to Gale Yee who first shared this essay with me and others, Marranda Hassett commented "It's an interesting phenomenon, but not an unmixed blessing (so to speak). When I was teaching intro anth for a couple of years, 2003-2004ish, I found that some of the kids had an attitude of, "Everybody's mixed-race now, so why do We have to learn about racism?" I vividly remember one young woman of color telling me that a fashion photo of Naomi Campbell couldn't be an example of covert racism because Campbell is mixed race, not black."

I want to be clear - I am not suggesting that stop promoting an anti-racist stance or teaching with a critical lens that is anti-racist.... I want to balance the particularity of each and honoring the union of each in the expression of a whole. I want to highlight the ever expanding matrix of elements that form us and impact our engagement with others in the world.  I am eager to engage in critical dialogue about how paradigm shifts in almost every sector of life are also impacting our understanding of race and racism and nuancing our responses.

No comments: